In the Cognition, Culture, and Development Lab, we study the ontogeny of cultural learning. Our team of cognitive developmental scientists studies the interplay of our universal mind and the variation of human culture.
The lab is directed by Dr. Legare, and is located in the psychology department at The University of Texas at Austin. The other members of the Cognition, Culture, and Development Laboratory are:
Sarah Davis, Ph.D., received her doctorate in 2017 from the University of St. Andrews. She is currently a visiting researcher in the CCD Lab at UT Austin. She graduated from the University of St. Andrews in 2012 with a B.Sc. in psychology. She received her M.Sc. in 2013 from Queen's University Belfast in atypical child development. Sarah's research interests include the evolution of culture with a comparative focus on behavioral flexibility in chimpanzees and children.
Emily Little, Ph.D., received her doctorate in 2017 from UC San Diego. She is currently a visiting researcher in the CCD Lab at UT Austin. Emily received her B.A. in psychology from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 2010. Her research interests include how parent-infant interactions relate to early cognitive development in different cultural contexts.
Justin Busch, M.A., is a fifth year Ph.D. student at UT Austin. He received his B.A. in 2009 from the University of Colorado, Boulder in ecology and evolutionary biology and his M.A. in psychology in 2015 from UT Austin. Prior to coming to UT, he worked as a research assistant at the University of Colorado and Columbia University. Justin’s research interests include intuitive causal reasoning and studying religious cognition from an evolutionary perspective. He is also interested in science education.
Nicole Wen, M.A., is a fifth year Ph.D. student at UT Austin. She graduated from UT Austin in 2013 with a B.S. in psychology, a B.A. in Plan II Honors, and a minor in history. She received her M.A. in psychology in 2015 from UT Austin. Nicole's research interests include the development of social cognition and examining the imitative foundations of cultural learning. She is interested in examining the effects of social conventions on children’s social group cognition in order to understand how rituals facilitate group cohesion and identity formation.
Aurora Brinkman graduated from UT Austin in 2017 with a B.A. in psychology and a B.S.A. in honors biology. After taking two gap years, she plans to pursue a Ph.D. in clinical psychology.
- Bunmi Akindona
- Alyssa Bohnert
- Aurora Brinkman
- Hannah Campos
- Michaela Caughy
- Aditi Chalise
- Lydia Chen
- Sally Do
- Stephanie Estrera
- Nicole Griffin
- Atira Hinton
- Daniel Ikejimba
- Vibha Iyengar
- Sarah Kim
- Jacob Maras
- Gaby Morgan
- Hannah Nazir
- Anh Nguyen
- Yasmeen Nofal
- Ashley Pham
- Jennifer Velazquez
- Nat Watkins
- Aaron Wood
Former Ph.D. Students & Postdoctoral Researchers
- Jennifer Clegg, Ph.D., is currently a postdoctoral researcher at Boston University. She received her Ph.D. from UT Austin in 2016.
Personal website →
- Daniel Conroy-Beam, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Psychology Department at UC Santa Barbara. He received his Ph.D. from UT Austin in 2016.
Personal website →
- Patricia Herrmann, Ph.D., is a Systems Analyst at Broadband Interactive. She has a doctorate in cognitive science from Northwestern University and was a postdoctoral researcher at UT Austin from 2011–2013.
- Frances R. Morales, M.A., is currently employed as a mental health care practitioner. She received her M.A. at UT Austin in 2015.
- Andre L. Souza, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at The University of Alabama. He received his Ph.D. from UT Austin in 2012.
Personal website →
- Rachel Watson-Jones, Ph.D., is a usability senior engineer at Dell. She has a doctorate in cognitive and evolutionary anthropology from the University of Oxford and was a visiting graduate student and postdoctoral researcher at UT Austin from 2011–2015.
Personal website →
- Aiyana Willard, Ph.D., is a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Oxford. She has a doctorate in social psychology from the University of British Columbia and was a postdoctoral researcher at UT Austin from 2015–2017.
Personal website →
Former Undergraduate Research Assistants
- 2016-2017: Zac Buckingham, Shihyin Chung, Nick Gatz, Taylor George, Bonnie Johnson, Andi Liang, Reethika Thakkalapally
- 2015-2016: Alexander Abbot, Andrew Arriaga, Mahera Badat, Carmen Cardenas, Nitza Chavez, Grace Cicardo, Emily Cruz, Maria de Leon, Emma Denning, Daniel Dosal-Terminel, Leah Duran, Nicole Garner, Taylor George, Tiffany Huynh, Daniel Ikejimba, Eunice Iyalho, Nicole Jacobs, Ana Jacome, Alicia Kiattinat, Sarah Kim, Emily Lang, Lindsey Leggett, Shirley Li, Joel Lucio, Wanja Muturi, Anisa Nabily, Patty Phewklieng, Graciela Rodriguez, Tara Thankachan, Bryn Terry, Shu Jie Ting, Emily Withrow
- 2014-2015: Adrian Abellanoza, Bethelhem Belachew, Anuj Bhutani, Jayson Alex Carr, Emily Eck, Quinn Hirschi, Elena Keltner, Shama Momin, Valerie Moreno, Priyanka Patel, Bella Prines, McKenzie Ratcliffe, Annabel Reeves, Michelle Ross, Hyunji Seo, Swathi Sridhar, Kasia Szostak, Sarah Talaat, Allison Tsao, Holly Weir, Debbie Yeh, Rithika Yogeshwarun, Chloe Yu
- 2013-2014: Niki Akhaveissy, Adam Alcott, Andrea Argueta, Joseph Barron, Casey Brown, Courtney Crosby, Cisse Drame, Stephanie Gonzalez, Irene Jea, Alexa Perlick, Elyssa Proby, Emily Shanks, Allison Tsao, Monica Vela, Viviana Wan
- 2012-2013: Justin Busch, Nathan Davis, Adrienne Fowler, Eric Harvey, Cintia Hinojosa, Sarah Mohkamkar
- 2011-2012: Brittani Cobb, Kathryn Christine Chevis, Katherine Cullum, Niki Demkowicz, Teresa Gaytan, Lauren Gragg, Lacey Hutchison, Paige Hartman, Michelle Jorgenson, Riley Little, Becky Nekolaichuk, Tiffany Roshanian, Lukas Thompson, Maya Zein
- 2010-2011: Erica Beall, Victoria Chapman, Claudia Garate, Erin Griffin, Anna Johnson, Abby Lavine, Christin Lusk, Daniel Martinez, Jr., Victoria Nava, Jenna Segraves, Ariana Stern-Luna, Nicole Wen
- 2009-2010: Molly Callahan, Stephani Clayton, Milla Impola, Katie Jean, Starr La Salde, Linzi Moss, Naomi Schwendemann, Becca Yasskin
- 2008-2009: Sara Baird, Justin Cho , Kellie Connors, Sabrina Elddine, Sonali Gadkari, Kaitlin McLaughlin, Jane Park, Cam Plummer, Leigh Plummer, Brooke Woolley
- Coren Apicella, Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania
- Quentin Atkinson, School of Psychology, The University of Auckland
- Maureen Callanan, Department of Psychology, UC Santa Cruz
- E. Margaret Evans, Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Michigan
- Susan Gelman, Department of Psychology, University of Michigan
- Alison Gopnik, Department of Psychology, UC Berkeley
- Paul Harris, Graduate School of Education, Harvard University
- Daniel Haun, Department of Early Child Development and Culture, University of Leipzig
- Annette Henderson, School of Psychology, The University of Auckland
- Joe Henrich, Department of Human Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University
- Gail Heyman, Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego
- Joscha Kärtner, Institute of Psychology, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
- Tania Lombrozo, Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley
- Candice Mills, Department of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, University of Texas at Dallas
- Mark Nielsen, Department of Psychology, University of Queensland
- Ara Norenzayan, Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia
- Paul Rozin, Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania
- David Sobel, Cognitive, Linguistics & Psychological Sciences, Brown University
- Caren Walker, Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego
- Henry Wellman, Department of Psychology, University of Michigan
- Harvey Whitehouse, Department of Anthropology, University of Oxford